Saturday, July 18, 2009

Review: Salad Spinner


Before you pass judgment, just hear me out on this one. I really tried to avoid purchasing this gadget and was successful for almost 4 years as a married woman. I vowed that such a gadget was completely superfluous and would just serve to take up more space in my already small kitchen. After all, women have done without salad spinners for thousands of years. Well, then the greens started invading my home. First the kitchen counter tops, then the table, then the dining room, and before I knew it, there were greens climbing up the stairs. They were wrapped in cloths, tucked in collanders, and pressed between paper towels. They were everywhere. And to make matters worse, they were never completely dry and almost always limp and soggy.

And therein began the temptation to try out the salad spinner. I scored a rather sizeable one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $15 with my $5 off coupon. I used it immediately to see what all the hype was about. Now I am addicted. When you purchase loose greens from the store or local farms, you need to basically drench them to rid the dirt and creepy crawlers. So, after submerging my greens to get them good and clean, they were completely soggy. After one turn of the salad spinner, the greens were absolutely perky and full, just what ruffage should be. We ate obscene amounts of greens before, but now we are even more over the top which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Spinning the greens also makes a great job for a toddler.

If you love salads and make them often (or even fresh pesto, spinach, broccoli rabbe, escarole), it is worth the investment. Makes a great shower gift for a bride too:)

No comments:


Click here to join