Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bread Baking











Dave and I took a breadmaking class (at our home) this weekend and it was incredible and completely indulgent. Dave had the entire weekend off for the first time in a few months, so we wanted to do something fun. And I wanted to learn how to bake bread. And my husband is incredibly accomodating. So breadmaking it was. He did have a great time, though, we all did!

We were taught by an artisan breadmaker from NJ. I found him on the Internet and his rate was very reasonable. Isabella was a great helper and was on her best behavior for the full 5 hours. I know, I couldn't believe it. But it did make for a wonderful family day. We made English muffins, French baguettes, a French boule, and pitas. We learned about dough hydrations, how to knead by hand and with a mixer, and how to shape the aforementioned breads. He even brought over some sourdough starter for me that I hope to maintain. I just happened to whip up a batch of hummus for some veggies earlier that morning, so at the end of all the baking, the hummus and veggies made perfect pita fillings. Not to mention that we smothered the cinnamon raisin English muffins with butter and they were soooo good. I feel guilty for the ones that disappeared in the late hours of the evening when everyone else was sleeping. We stashed the rest of it away in the freezer so c'mon down and sample what we've made!

No comments:


Click here to join